In the spirit of “The Year of Giving” announced by HH Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, I would like to share the gift of lessons I have learned in life, and values I live by. The Prophet Mohammed, sallalhu alaihi wa Salam said, “Do you know who is most generous? … God is the Most Generous, then I am most generous to humankind, and the most generous people after me will be those who will acquire knowledge and then disseminate it. (They) will come on the Day of Resurrection singly, like a ruler.” Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 93.
I have come to learn the following:
1. Life is not predicable, but life doesn’t happen to us; we make life happen so make the best
of every situation, trial or blessing.
2. Stop looking for the meaning of life in others, look inside yourself to find the meaning.
3. It doesn’t matter what you do or how many accolades you collect, you define who you are; don’t let others define you.
4. Honor your commitments no matter how small, a promise is a promise.
5. Take time to stop and”smell the rose”. The most successful self-determined people take time for themselves to reboot.
6. Think before you do, don’t just follow the flow, create your own wave.
7. Surround yourself with positive people; nothing is more detrimental to human achievement
8. Teach what you know. Everyone has the opportunity to give; it doesn’t cost anything to
share your knowledge but the fruits last forever.
9. Commit to greet everyone you meet with a smile and a greeting of peace. It doesn’t matter
if they smile back, you will keep them wondering about it all day.
10. Watch what you say, and say the truth. Your words have on impact others.
11. Stand for justice, because if you don’t the unjust will continue to prosper.